This post is also available in: Nederlands
Learning to program is hard, everyone that has done so can attest to that. Contrary to topics like mathematics and language which we have been teaching for hundreds of years, programming education is relatively new. Therefore there are many open questions such as:
- What is the best age to learn programming?
- What concepts confuse children most?
- How should a teacher teach programming if they do not know a lot about it themselves?
- What programming language is the best for learning?
These are the type of research questions that we aim to address within the PERL group. We are interested in all ages of learners, from preschoolers to professionals. We teach the Master course Psychology of Programming in the Spring semester.
- Improving Hedy, for example by adding better error messages.
- Studying the use of Hedy in schools and comparing it to other programming languages.
- Studying ‘linguistic drift’ in programming languages (more info on this project in this video)
- Collecting and analyzing eye tracking data from students solving SQL exercises (supervised by Fenia Aivaloglou)
Slides Masterklas 2021
Supervised by Felienne Hermans:
- Het verbeteren van Hedy, bijv door het maken van betere foutmeldingen, het toevoegen van syntax highlighting en user management.
- Het beter begrijpen van Hedy, bijv door een observatiestudie te doen met kinderen op een basis- of middelbare school.
- Onderzoek doen naar hoe studenten code lezen en samenvatten. Kunnen we daaruit iets leren over wat ze al snappen en kunnen?
Supervised by Fenia Aivaloglou:
- Exploring gender representation in Dutch books on programming with Scratch.
- Analyzing the problem solving process of students during SQL query formulation.
- Identifying and mapping of tutorials and education videos about programming on youtube.
Supervised by Sabiha Yeni:
- Gain insight into computational practices in K-12 education, by integrating computational thinking into the non-computing subjects in the primary and secondary education or by analyzing existing observation data.
Supervised by Vivian van der Werf:
- Research into the teaching of variables/identifiers in programming courses by analyzing teachers’ interview data and/or MOOCs
Presentatie Bachelorklas 2019
Psychology of Programming
A number of our research questions and methods are also reflected in the MSc course Psychology of Programming(PoP) that we provide in the spring semester. If you are interested in graduating within PERL, be sure to follow PoP first.